Wednesday, November 26, 2014

THANKSGIVING PAST



Today and tomorrow social media sites and the Internet will be filled with family stories, pictures, and the annual sharing of warm and fuzzy Thanksgiving messages. This is also a time of year when we remember the great Thanksgivings past, back when we were kids sitting at the “kid table” (really just a card table set up in an adjoining room because there was no room at the main table). I want to use this moment to reflect back on the “good ole days.” See if YOU can relate to any of my classic Thanksgiving moments:
  • Counting the years until I could move up to the adult table – never mind the fact that there was no minimum age it really all depended on who showed up each year.
  • FOOTBALL! I LOVE football and I can attribute that to my uncle taking all the kids to the Detroit Lions game every year while the cooking was being done…see I figured I could get out of cooking every year if I just went to a football game. Turned me into a true fan.  Of course that also meant I never learned to cook!
  • The blood in the mashed potatoes from when my grandma would cut herself, because if there wasn’t a kitchen towel wrapped around her fingers/hands then it just wasn’t Thanksgiving.
  • The exploding glass jar that my grandma used to make the gravy thickener…now I don’t know what it means or how she did it, but it always involved flour and boiling liquid in a glass jar that she would shake up and inevitably it would explode as she removed the top. 
  • The fight for one of the coveted turkey legs (a fight I STILL win to this day!)
  • The four different pies that people brought and you’d feel bad if you didn’t put slices from at least three of them on your plate.
  • The post dinner story telling where we all would sprawl on the couches, chairs, even the floor and laugh at the stories from prior year get-togethers.

Now my family is very different.  My grandma passed away several years ago and with her gone the family traditions changed as we all went our separate ways to build new traditions.  But every year at this time I think back and share these stories with my own children so that even though we’ve built our own traditions, they will always know where it all started.

From all of us here at Tropical Financial Credit Union we wish you all health, happiness, and the creation of your own memorable Thanksgiving with family and friends!
 
Happy Thanksgiving,
^Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest and comments!