Tuesday, December 16, 2014

HOLIDAY CREDIT CARD SAFETY



I LOVE to shop and that’s no secret. But, I like to think of myself as a smart shopper. I try to find the best deals and bargains. This holiday season, I set out to do my holiday shopping early. I wanted to beat the rush, I knew what I was buying so I watched pricing and did a lot of my shopping on-line to avoid the lines and the crowds.

While sitting at work one day, I got a call from Tropical Financial’s Fraud department. My heart sank, it’s the holidays and credit card fraud is always on the rise during the holidays. They went over a list of purchases that appeared on my credit card and wanted to verify if my account had been compromised. Fortunately, my account hadn't been as they were all my purchase. That’s when I realized… exactly how much I LOVE to SHOP! But it also made me thankful that my Credit Union called me to verify since there was so much activity.

Take precaution

The holidays are upon us and that means a lot more account activity.  So it’s time to take precautions.

Online shopping

*Stick to ONE Credit Card: When you plan on doing a lot of online shopping, try sticking to ONE credit card, this way you can track the purchases, and limit the damage should your card be compromised. Also be sure to use a card that has purchase alerts, so you know every time your card is processed. This will help you keep track of your spending and be able to watch first hand for any unauthorized purchases. 

*Third- Party Payment: If you find yourself using the internet for your holiday shopping, link one credit card to a third party payment plan like PayPal or Google Checkout. This way you can enter your username and password and refrain from continuously entering your credit card information.

* Watch your internet access: Often times we are on the go, we see a great deal come through our email and we make the purchase. Be careful when it comes to “Free Wi-Fi” This is an easy way for someone to gather your personal information.

Offline shopping

*Keep your credit card out of sight: When you are in line getting ready to make a purchase, keep our credit card tucked away until you need it. You never know who is around you and who might be looking at your credit card number and memorizing it.

*Keep your credit card secure: When you are out shopping in the stores, take the few extra seconds to place your credit card back in your wallet. Don’t put it in your jeans pocket, or throw it in your purse, this is an easy way for someone to get a hold of your information.

*Check your statement: Whether you are shopping online or off, be sure to check your credit card statement daily. Review your receipts with your purchases and be sure you were not over charged and that everything matches up. Monitoring your account daily during heavy shopping periods is very important and can help if your card is compromised.

Have fun!

Enjoy the holiday season, enjoy shopping for those on your list but be smart about your shopping habits. If you see something on your statement that doesn't look right, be sure to call Tropical Financial right away and research that charge and be sure to never loan your credit card out to others.
Have a wonderful holiday season and have a blast shopping too!


^Alysha  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest and comments!