Tuesday, October 1, 2013

FALLING FOR FALL IN FLORIDA

As a recent transplant to Florida, this is the one time of year I can honestly say I’m “homesick.” Back in Michigan flipping the calendar to October meant the crisp smell of leaves burning, fresh apple cider, hayrides, sweatshirts and football.  There’s something really magical about the changing color of the leaves from a tree-lined lake.  Memories of raking leaves just to have the kids or dogs jump into the piles dispersing them all over the yard…I can’t help but smile.   One of my husband’s favorite activities in the fall was to have evening fires in the backyard fire pit where the family would gather to share stories of the events of the day.  Much like many families do around the dinner table, we took it to the outdoors along with a bag of marshmallows, chocolate bars, and a box of graham crackers to make the best dessert – Smores. 

Now that we live in Florida the flipping of the calendar to October doesn’t trigger the beginning of the end of the summer…not when you live in the land of endless summer!  I love that as the days progress toward the end of the year we can still enjoy outdoor activities like seafood festivalsOktober festivals, Zombie runs, and for the folks who really like to let loose there’s always Fantasy Fest in Key West!  A few hours to the north the teens enjoy Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios, while the parents can enjoy the International Food & Wine Festival at Epcot.  No need to switch the wardrobe to long sleeves and unpack the parkas, t-shirts and shorts are still the preferred clothing of choice throughout October.  I still get to enjoy football, but I can enjoy it poolside!  

Florida is a paradise and even though I may miss the beauty of a tree blazoned with brilliant colors of red and orange leaves, I can’t help but be incredibly thankful that I get to enjoy the beauty of palm fronds swaying in warm gentle breezes….all year long.

Happy Florida Fall!

^Amy

2 comments:

  1. Love your little editorial, your description made me feel I was right there in Michigan. Rolling in the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO CANES !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your interest and comments!