Thursday, October 25, 2012

Taking Steps to Beat Cancer

Tropical Financial employees who volunteered
to walk in the Komen Race For The Cure event
in Miami on Oct. 20th
This post is dedicated to my sister, a cancer survivor, and to everyone who walked or in their own way supported the annual Race for the Cure at Bayfront Park in Miami.  Here's my motivation:
It's  a phone call I'll never forget. It was my sister.
My phone rang while I was driving to the gas station.  She, who rarely calls, said, "I have breast cancer and need to have a double mastectomy as soon as possible.  Can you go with me tomorrow to the surgeon?" Somehow, I don't know how, managing to stay calm I said, "Of course, of course I will go with you." Then she recited what the doctors had told her. I don’t think she really understood a single word. She seemed to be mimicking the medical-speak, like a parrot. I must confess, after I heard the word cancer, I didn't hear much more myself. 
As a very emotional person, I knew I needed to prepare myself to meet with my sister and her doctor.  I was determined to be the calm one and ask the intelligent questions and support her in every way I possibly could.  Was that tough!   Thankfully Dr. Marc is a very sweet, genuine and caring young man.  He held our hands and hugged us through the tears.   He coaxed us into asking questions, writing things down, he understood – his Mom had the same type of cancer 30 years ago – and she’s still alive and doing very well!
The surgery was performed a few months ago and she is back on the road to recovery.  Thankfully, no chemo, no radiation, just a few more surgeries.   She is a very busy administrator for a very large firm headquartered in Miami, mother of three in three different schools, Sunday School teacher, wife and volunteer.  Friends, family and coworkers rallied around her like we’ve never seen before.  Every night for six weeks someone came over with a home-cooked meal. There were casseroles and baked chicken, sometimes Chinese or take out for the entire family.  On some weekends a family friend came over to make breakfast! Prayers were offered up in every religion and house of worship, friends that we haven’t seen in ages called and sent words of encouragement and others visited.
It really does  take a village to raise a family.  Our family has learned it takes a village to help a family heal. 
Over the past few years cancer has touched our Tropical family and it has touched someone in almost every family in one way or another.  Gather with your village of friends, family and coworkers.  Be thankful for your health and theirs! 
Thank you, everyone! Your support makes all of us strong and helps us all know that when that phone call comes, we will be strong enough to accept the help offered by the village.
^Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest and comments!