Friday, November 9, 2012

Thank A Soldier

When I was a kid I used to marvel at the big display case over the fireplace at my dad’s house. It’s where he displayed all his medals from his army days. I’m very proud of my dad – he fought in World War 2 and was honored with numerous medals, including the Silver Medal awarded directly from General George S. Patton for bravery.  He was always a living “Captain America” to me.  One thing my dad used to tell me all the time was that freedom was never really free. There are brave men and women in this country who continue to put their lives on the line in support of this great country and the principles we believe in. On Sunday, November 11th we will be honoring those great men and women.

Veteran’s Day was first recognized for the cession of fighting during World War 1 – on the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918.  The date officially became a holiday in 1938, this year it will be recognized as a federal holiday on Monday, November 12th so all the branches of Tropical Financial will be closed.  Even though there were several years that the date changed, it has always had the same significance: A celebration to honor America’s veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.

At Tropical Financial Credit Union, employees get together around this time of year and donate time and resources to Forgotten Soldiers, an organization whose purpose is to send care packages and letters of encouragement to our deployed soldiers.  It takes only a few minutes to write a letter and anyone can do it, so I encourage everyone reading this to take a few extra minutes and thank a soldier.

My father passed away four years ago, but in his honor I have been writing letters to active duty soldiers to let them know what they are doing for our great nation will not be forgotten. 

^Amy 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest and comments!