Friday, March 21, 2014

Spring Cleaning Can Equal Savings!


Spring has sprung! This is the first week of spring and the weather has been beautiful, the sun shining, the wind blowing, and the allergies kicking up.  Have you gotten spring cleaning fever yet? 

We got it.  I don’t know about you, but I can’t drive a block before I see piles of yard cuttings and trash on the side of the road waiting for county pick up.  Inside the house, I already packed up our old clothes and shoes and sent them off for donation.  When you give, don’t forget your tax-deductible receipt!  And on every corner is a sign screaming, “Garage Sale”.

Just as I got rid of old clothes, one of my coworker friends brought in three bags of hand-me-downs for my nieces!  I know the girls absolutely loved the clothes but my sister loved the savings even more!   Which brings up an idea, consignment shops are a great way to make a little cash, and it might even give teens an incentive to clean up their room….hmmm?

Spring is the time of year we all check our home to-do lists and take care of routine maintenance like changing your air conditioning filters, cleaning out your refrigerator and freezer, and changing the batteries in your fire alarms.  Cleaner is always better and always makes things work more efficiently.  While you’re at it, check your hot water heater, turn the thermostat down to the lowest setting, this will make bathing in your house a little bit shorter but definitely more economical.

Now is also a good time to air out your house while the temperature is still cool enough.  It’s also a good time to get motivated to clean out and spruce up the outside of your home or garden. 

Make it a family affair and acknowledge their help.  A fun idea would be to have a garage sale and have them decide how to spend the proceeds.

So get to it, gather the troops and start your spring cleaning!  And maybe I’ll see you at the next Garage Sale. 

 ~Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest and comments!