Friday, September 7, 2012

Better Than A Bank


It was the best phone call I have received in a long time.  I am a marketer and out of the blue I was talking directly to my audience. And she called me.
“Are you a bank?” asked the woman on the phone.
“We are better than a bank,” was my instinctive marketer response.
She replied with, “I don’t understand what that means.”
iStock Photo
So began a 45 minutes conversation where I discovered this elderly woman had been paying numerous fees for years to one of the mega banks (who shall remain nameless here) and finally hit her breaking point –  when her debit card was denied for a purchase “on-the-line” (online).  After talking for a while and explaining overdraft and the idea of “opt-in” she was so surprised that no one from her bank ever explained it to her.  I wasn’t surprised at all.
We talked about her 16-year old teenage grandson who had been asking for a credit card and she wasn’t sure how to help him with that. I told her about our new student checking account that would allow him to have a debit card that he could use “on-the-line” without putting him in debt.   She could be joint on the account to watch over him and teach him financial responsibility.  Surprised again, she responded with, “You can do that?!?!” 
Yes, Mrs. H, we can do that.  And we will take the time to explain all this to you, because we listen and make sure you’re getting the best financial products to fit YOUR life.  THAT is a credit union.
Like I said, “We’re better than a bank.”
^Amy
www.Tropicalfcu.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest and comments!