Thursday, September 20, 2012

How Do I Write A Check?

When I was going to high school in the 80s I never had a “how to” class when it came to money or money management.  In fact it wasn’t until I was in college that I even learned how to write out a check.  Back then we had our parents to take care of all that and I never thought about it until I was on my own and faced with paying my own bills.  It was the local credit union, Michigan State University Federal Credit Union, which took the time to show me how it was done.   In addition to showing me how to write a check, they also took the time to show me how to balance my checkbook, something so critical to a young person on a limited income.
Here we are more than 30 years later and most high schools still don’t teach practical financial skills as a part of their regular curriculum. But credit unions continue to offer education and outreach in their communities to help bridge the gap.  Here at Tropical Financial Credit Union, we also understand the need to have resources available to our community. We offer online tools through a program called “Balance,” along with The Learning Years life stage and holding seminars and workshops to help individuals navigate this tough economy.   
In a quick check of my old credit union they are still offering education, now in an online library… and like Tropical Financial Credit Union the tools have changed but the commitment to community hasn’t.

^Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest and comments!