Friday, November 15, 2013

WEDDING PLANNING IS FINANCIAL PLANNING

Do-It-Yourself projects can save a LOT of money
in wedding planning
Twenty five is a pretty important number. It can be the number of cents you crave to satisfy your caffeine fix at the vending machine. It can be number of college credits required to graduate on time, or the number of points you need on your credit score to be considered for a home mortgage.  It can even be the number of dollars you must deposit in your checking account to avoid the risk of an overdraft fee. In my case, it’s the number days until I walk down the aisle and say “I do”. 

Looking back on the past year of planning, I’m very proud of the strides I’ve made to prepare for my marriage. Marriage counseling is considered beneficial to strengthen your relationship, but realigning my financial responsibilities and commitments was considered my number one priority. I created for myself a rigorous payment and saving schedule. The goals I wanted to achieve prior to marriage were:

1)      Have little to no personal debt

2)      Make bi-weekly deposits to my savings account

3)      Limit personal spending 

My social activities plummeted, but all it took was a glance at my savings account to turn my entire mood around. As the wedding approached, I grew hesitant about the budget. I refused to liquidate my entire savings for one day. I decided to research and learn my way around a hot glue gun. I’m happy to report that I personally made 85% of my wedding décor, stayed within budget, continue to maintain my savings account, and we are still able to afford a honeymoon of our choice.

Saving for my wedding was considered a short term goal. Saving for my future will be a long term goal that I’ll continue to strive for. If you’re interested in starting a savings account to prepare for your future and any financial goals, Tropical Financial Credit Union representatives are at the ready to assist you with planning for your future.

^Cari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest and comments!